Sunday, October 30, 2011

Getting Dressed in the Dark

Saturday, October 29, 2011

OK, so I've never been known for my fashion sense.  But hiking has taken it to a new low.  I don't care, but I thought I should warn anyone who comes to visit.  Gray shorts, purple shirt, screaming green jacket, pink hat...I did have on gray socks that sort of matched my shorts.  Really, I did!  Oh, the black gloves keep my hands warm when I start out on these chilly desert mornings.  Don't need them for long.

Perhaps this is why I rarely see any animals???

It's the weekend, which means hordes of turistas coming into Sedona.  Which means I'm avoiding anything in "town."  I headed out to hike the Bell Trail - another favorite spot east of I-17 (Sedona is west).  Good choice!  I had at least 31/2 miles of solitude (read:  no humans) on the way in.   I have done this trail before, but had never crossed the creek to climb the other side of the canyon. 

Bell's Crossing

WOW!  New views at every turn,   Mother Nature's 3 lovely sounds - the breeze through the treetops, the songs of the birds (including western bluebirds), and the babble of Wet Beaver Creek down below.

                       A lovely spot above the creek
Red rock columns and desert greenery

    The long and winding road...           


Love the way this trail hugs the rock walls!

On the way back, I had a nice view of 3 mule deer making their way along the western slope.  A doe and 2 young'uns, white tails flicking as they went, huge ears at attention.

Very glad to be heading out as the humans began heading in.  I was just about back to the trail head...and along comes a group of young adults - a 400 lb guy not wearing a shirt, his friend yakking loudly into his cell phone, and bringing up the rear...a guy dragging a full-sized cooler on wheels.  Over the rocks, up the slope, bump-rattle-racket-racket-racket.  As we YATs say - GAWD.  I'm outta here!

No comments:

Post a Comment