Thursday, October 27, 2011

Getting to a New Place

Monday, October 24

I've been wanting to see the Boyce Thompson Arboretum and made the drive down on Monday.  Had to go to Phoenix anyway, to choose the slab for the new countertops.  The Arb is about an hour east of Phoenix, truly in the middle of nowhere.  You gotta wanna get there.  Wow, is it worth the drive!

The Arboretum is set below these hills,
covered in my favorite things - Saguaro Cacti!

I spent several very happy hours here, chasing birds and looking at the vast variety of plants.  Saw this little ground squirrel having lunch atop a boulder. 




Saw this sign along a trail, and thought it was a very clever way to keep humans out.  It sure worked on me!





My two favorite shots of the day - the second one especially, because this bird is a "lifer" for me!

  This male Anna's Hummingbird turned                    
 toward me at just the right moment!                       
                 
Took some chasing, but I finally caught this male
 Broad-billed Hummingbird in a rare moment of stillness


I'll definitely be returning to Boyce Thompson Arboretum next spring when the desert is in bloom!

No comments:

Post a Comment