Thursday, October 27, 2011

Getting Older...

October 25, 2011

A few years ago, I began the tradition of spending my birthday at the South Rim of the Grand Canyon.  I've been lucky enough to keep it going, and hope that continues until I have to be wheeled out there on some sort of geezer-mobile.  The weather was cause for some concern this time, but the stormy sky only made for dramatic lighting over the Canyon - and it changed every few minutes.   Only a few raindrops fell on the South Rim, as the rain moved from south to north and dumped mostly on the North Rim.

Upon arriving at the entrance gate, I purchased a new annual pass.  I had to show my driver's license and when the ranger saw the date, she sang "Happy Birthday" to me.  A fun way to start the day! 

My first stop was Shoshone Point, a place I learned about with the Sierra Club a few years ago.  Few people know of it, and many tourists would not make the 1 mile walk to get to it.  So it remains quiet and off the "tourist trail" - and I hope it stays that way.  Saw only 6 others in the time I was there.

No place I'd rather be!


Had my lunch at this spot, just west of Yaki Point.  I like to offer to take photos for couples and families that come by - a nice way to meet people and they are always so happy to have a shot of everyone.  Perhaps I should put out a "tip jar."



I took the shuttle down to Hermit's Rest (the road is closed to cars until December).  Just as we stopped at one of the lookout points, a Condor did a fly-by!  Generally don't see them this time of year, as they've already headed for points south.  I waited there for a bit, hoping he'd come back around, but no luck today.

From Hermit's Rest, I did a short hike down The Hermit Trail.  Never been on that trail - it is not nearly as well-traveled as Kaibab or Bright Angel and I enjoyed seeing a short section of it.  Maybe someday...to the bottom from here?  The weather was threatening at this point and I used that as my excuse to go no farther.  Every step down is a step back up!

View of the Redwall from Hermit Trail. 
Just to the right of the center tree, you can see
a tiny speck of the Colorado River



This guy caused an "Elk jam" along a road - he was yoooge!


These Utah Junipers take on unique,        
sculptural shapes along the rim            



It was a fabulous day, but I still had the long drive back to Sedona.  In good weather/daylight, I enjoy the drive down from Flagstaff's 7000 ft elevation to Sedona's 4000 ft.  In the dark and pouring rain?  Not so much.  The little Z and I white-knuckled it down I-17 and just the signs along the road are near panic-inducing in those conditions:  Watch for Rocks!  Watch for Elk!  Runaway Truck Ramp (eek)!  Road Construction!  Steep Mountain Grades!

I am always happy to see the Sedona exit - and this time it was a great relief!

  Safe and dry at the casita,
 and a birthday treat/wish to mark the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment