Thursday, March 15, 2012

Getting to Rock Bottom - Part 3

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The 5:00 a.m. wake-up call (a knock on the dorm door) came, and everyone in the dorm headed out to breakfast.  Except for Mary, Kathy and me.  We relished the quiet and some extra bunk time.  Until another knock came, telling us we were due at breakfast.  A schedule mix-up led us to think we had the later breakfast that day, so the eggs weren't the only things scrambled that morning.

It was kind of nice to have the extra morning time, and I spent it walking around Phantom Ranch and visiting the mules awaiting their riders for the trip back up to the rim.  I bonded with my new friend, Jon'ez (means "long ears" in Navajo), giving him lots of head rubs and ear scratches.  I have an affinity for these hard-working creatures - perhaps it's the stubborn nature that we have in common?

My new buddy

We were soon off to Ribbon Falls (twelve miles round trip) along the N. Kaibab trail.  This relatively level trail wanders along Bright Angel Creek, through an area known as "The Box."  The towering Canyon walls form a narrow passage, and there are a number of bridges across the creek.  Another beautiful, warm spring day, a few wildflowers blooming, the sound of the creek and the dramatic scenery - doesn't get much better!

                Bridge along the N. Kaibab

Work was being done on the last bridge crossing to the falls, so we had to cross the fast-moving creek on a series of rocks.  From there, it was a short hike up to the falls. 

Mary makes her way across the creek

Ribbon Falls runs year-round, creating an oasis in a side canyon.  A spectacular sight and a wonderful place to take a break, have lunch, and just...chill.



















               Ribbon Falls

Catching the spray - this was fun until the wind changed,
and blew all of that icy water at my back!


   View from behind the falls,        
 looking out into the canyon        

The hike back to Phantom was nearly as pleasant as the hike to the falls.  I say "nearly" because a crazy wind began to kick up.  The gusts were wild, blowing so much dust around that I had to turn my back to it a number of times.  There were dust-devils along the trail, and a tumbleweed crossed my path!  Kathy reported being blow into the rock wall!  We were all grateful not to be on some high ledge at that point.  Sjors later told me that Phantom recorded a gust of 55 mph that afternoon.

Despite the wind, I continued to wander around the ranch area.  Walked over to the Silver Bridge, saw a supply helicopter come in, down to the boat beach for a while and enjoyed the sight of 7 rafts heading downstream.  Another pleasant evening, another yummy dinner.  I was sad that this was our last night at rock bottom, so I strolled around the ranch for a little while.  I was hoping to see a Ring Tail Cat - a raccoon-like critter who frequents the area.  This time, as last, lots of people reported seeing them but alas, I had no luck.

The weather forecast for our hike up on Wednesday was not the best.  Rain, snow, high winds...we did get conflicting reports but none of them was for great weather.  Glad that I'd brought my long-johns, not glad that I'd left my rain poncho in the car.  Bought one from the Canteen - I can handle the cold but definitely didn't want to get myself (and all my gear, my camera) wet. 

Off to bed early, knowing we faced an early start and a long, hard hike!

No comments:

Post a Comment