Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Getting Elevated

On Saturday, I decided to try a new hike in Flagstaff.  I knew that it would be a climb...no kidding!  I headed up the Mt. Elden Lookout Trail, with the goal of reaching the top where there is a fire tower. 




I huffed and I puffed and I kept going up.. and up...and up.  I soon realized that even though I had lots of water, I had forgotten my snacks in the car.  Rats! 

Looks easy enough at the start...

I stopped in the shade for a rest, and was joined by a local guy.  While we chatted, he pulled out a frozen Snickers bar and started chowing down.  I didn't know whether to cry - or attack him and try to steal that candy bar! Had to settle for some gulps of water.


View from about 7200'
The views were great, but I realized I was not going to make it to the top.  The higher I went, the tighter and steeper the switchbacks became and I knew when I'd had enough.  I kept going until the altimeter on my watch showed 8000 feet, and that was my turn-around point.  It was a great hike on a beautiful AZ day...and perhaps I'll try it again some time. 

Rocky and steep!

No comments:

Post a Comment