Friday, June 10, 2011

Getting Back on the Trails

Great to be back in warm, sunny Arizona.  However, it seems the "no see 'ems" are also glad that I'm back.  My hikes yesterday and today were cut short because I was being eaten alive.  How can something smaller than a speck of pepper pack such a vicious bite?  I have welts on my arms and legs that are larger than quarters.  I am quarantined here in my condo with large white patches of baking soda paste on the bites.  I'm finding it works better on the itching than commercial itch creams.  I just can't go out in public. 

The prickly pear cacti are beginning to bloom and judging from the number of buds, will put on quite a show.  I've seen a few with flowers, but the best is yet to come.  The roadsides and medians are abloom with Mexican Hats, Prickly Poppy, Blanketflowers, red-blooming Yucca and more.  Those are on my list of favorites, and I hope to have some of my own one of these days.

There are no pictures with this post...because I forgot to bring the cable that connects my camera to the computer.  Grrr.  Ken is going to mail it to me - I can't stand the thought of not being able to upload photos!

Saw a Common Black Hawk and some orioles along the trail this morning, and on the way home a coyote (very healthy looking) ambled across the road ahead of me.  With no one behind me, I was able to slow down and get a good look.  He glanced back at me and disappeared into the brush.

I put the feeders up at the condo today, welcoming back the American Goldfinches and Black-Chinned Hummingbirds.  The quail are racing to and fro along the roadsides, and the jays are squawking in the trees.  Hoping to hear some coyotes in the evenings or early mornings, but no luck yet.  Full moon next week - looking forward to that!

1 comment:

  1. I always learn something from your blog. I had no idea no see 'ums were biters! Yeouch. But I do think you should go out to a fancy restaurant and show off your home remedy to the Sedona community. I bet you'd get really fast service! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete