Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Getting Wowed

A kaleidoscope of leaves carpets the trail at West Fork.  Wow!  This trail runs 3.2 miles (you can go farther if you want to wade) in Oak Creek Canyon north of Sedona.  The trail crosses Oak Creek 13 times.  It winds and rolls through a spectacular forest of maples, oaks, and ponderosa pines.  The canyon walls tower above it all, and it is one of the most incredible places to spend an hour or a day.  Today was my last full day in Sedona, and I enjoyed every minute of this glorious fall hike.

A maple blazes in the bright sun, under a turquoise Arizona sky!  I chatted briefly with a woman hiking just ahead of me.  We were both oohhing and aahhing, and taking many pictures.  She said "It's a total viewgasm."  Excuse me?  "You know," she said, "like a foodgasm."  My new favorite words!

Three bugs ride a maple leaf raft along Oak Creek.

Thanks to everyone who has kept me company out here and I hope you can come out and visit some time.  I love playing tour guide!  It will be good to get home and I'm glad I missed the huge windstorm.

No comments:

Post a Comment