Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Getting Hot

Summer has certainly arrived in Red Rock Country, and we topped 100 degrees a couple of days recently.  Of course, the humidity was a whopping 5% or so and I have "flat" hair for the first time in my life.  It is weird to get static shocks this time of year, and I have to spray all of my clothes with Static Guard to keep them from clinging to all those places that should not have clinging clothes.  Which is pretty much everything but my socks.

I do love this weather!  I can take the heat, but this time of year we have an invasion of "no see 'ums."  Those nasty, biting, nearly-invisible specks that cause huge, itchy welts.  The general time frame is said to be Mother's Day to Father's Day, and I did notice that they were much less of a problem today.  Hopefully they are on their way out until next year.

I've lost the weed wars for now...mostly because I surrendered.  But now that the biters are leaving, I am more inclined to get out there again.  Have a big crop of Golden Crownbeard in bloom (Verbecina encelioides) - a pretty native that can be invasive.  But I like it, so I've let it take over one area that was otherwise overrun with foxtail - a very nasty invasive that clings to everything.  The Santa Rita cacti I planted (kind of a purple prickly pear) seem to be surviving.  My Mexican Hats (Ratibida columnaris) and Mexican Bird of Paradise (Caesalpinia gilliesii) are both in full bloom and add some much needed color out there in the red dirt.  I'm trying to prep an area so that I can get some native grass seed planted before our monsoon season arrives (around mid-July). 


Mexican Bird of Paradise

Kelly was here for a visit in early May.  It was great to see her, as our last time together was in early December.  She enjoyed lounging at the condo pool and nearly hugging the fur off of Otis. 

                    Fun dinner at The Barking Frog

While she was here, I was happy to find Spike (my horned lizard buddy, or perhaps a relative...) in the yard so that she could see him.  He wasn't too happy when I picked him up, but I soon released him to his territory where he blends in perfectly with the dirt and rocks.

Super-cool Spike

My duties with the Sedona Volunteer Park Rangers continue to be a lot of fun.  We've been quite busy with the summer tourist season upon us.  I enjoy finding out where people are from - all over the world - and giving them suggestions on what to see and do while here.  Last Friday night, there was a family campout at a park in town, and on Saturday morning there was a group hike.  It was my first ever interpretive hike.  Ranger Jerry was my "tailgater" and we led about 15 adults/kids on the Bandit Trail - a nice winding trail that is a little over one mile long, at the base of Airport Mesa.  I incorporated some Leave No Trace principles, pointed out plants and birds, and talked about our red rock formations.  I even had the chance to tell them about Alice Algae and Freddie Fungus, as there were many lichen-covered rocks.  My only disappointment was the lack of Scat (very unusual, by the way).  So I did not share with them the "Starts with an S and ends with a T, comes out of you and comes out of me."  Darn.

After attending the two-day PSAR training (Preventive Search and Rescue) at the Grand Canyon in April, I was anxious to get out on the Canyon trails.  This program has been around for a number of years.  It includes staff rangers who are certified EMTs as well as lots of other specialized training, and a staff of volunteers.  We patrol the main Canyon trails (Bright Angel, South Kaibab and Hermit) during the busiest season from April through October.  Most people run into problems in the heat of the summer.  We watch for people heading down, making sure they are prepared, and also are on hand to help if someone is in trouble.  Serious situations require us to call for backup.  There are over 200 medevacs per year in the canyon, and we are there to hopefully, keep people out of those situations.  We are required to shadow an experienced ranger on both the South Kaibab and Bright Angel trails before we are sent out on solitary patrols.  I drove out to the Canyon on Sunday afternoon, did a "Jeep Sleep" at the PSAR campsite, and was ready to go early yesterday morning.


At the South Kaibab trailhead.
Not sure if I could hang one more thing off of myself...


If any of you have read "Wild" by Cheryl Strayed (and if you haven't, you should!), you will understand how I felt when I attempted to lift my pack after loading it with all of my supplies and water for the day.  We have to carry our own water and food, as well as extra water and snacks for hikers needing help.  We also have first aid, paperwork, a clicker (to count people), a radio...I also had my head lamp, extra shoelaces, pack towel...and various and sundry other items.  I thought sure I would have to get on my hands and knees and try to do a dead lift to get the darn thing onto my back! 

I feel that I really hit the jackpot on my first patrol - my supervising ranger was Jo, cutest Ranger ever.  She has a wonderful way with people, really knows the canyon, and taught me a great deal.  She was patient and fun, and didn't even push me over the edge after I left my radio in the bathroom at Cedar Ridge!  I was so afraid of dropping it into the toilet that I unclipped it and set it on a ledge.  Rejoined her at our lunch spot and realized...luckily we were still in the area and I was able to retrieve it without backtracking too far.  Duh.


Ranger Jo (with red pack) at Cedar Ridge
Mule supply train in background

It was a hot and windy day, and at times we had to turn our backs to the blowing dust.  There is very little shade on the Kaibab, and it is one steep trail!  I am so glad that I have been hiking a lot here in Sedona, doing challenging trails and pushing myself.   I also implemented what I learned in PSAR training about hydration, salt intake, etc.  All the Gatorade and pretzels yesterday really made a difference in keeping me hydrated and on track.  I got back home late afternoon, filthy and tired but with a real sense of accomplishment.  Hopefully, I'll be able to shadow someone on Bright Angel soon and then I'll be "official."

Not sure why, but I always enjoy seeing this Arizona Divide sign just west of Flagstaff...


Not much on the wildlife report around here.  The little quail family went from 10 babies to 5, but those 5 seem to be thriving.   A Bewick's Wren has a nest in the beams below the upper deck.  Four babies hatched about a week ago, but when I checked today the nest was empty.  I hope they fledged.  The nest seems to be in a very secure place, but I suppose those predators are sneaky.  Lots of flycatchers around, the daily house finches and mourning doves, but sadly, no sign of George the Greater Roadrunner this year.  Before too long, I should be able to harvest prickly pear fruit - and make another batch of syrup.  The margarita supply is running low!

I hope this finds everyone having a great summer, enjoying your favorite things and nature's gifts - like summer sunsets!  Here's a pic taken this evening:





1 comment:

  1. So a dryer sheet or bug spray does nothing to deter no see 'ems? Yikes I never knew they were biters. That would keep me out of the garden too! Sounds like your yard is coming along - I'm sure it's all beautiful. I just love your PSAR photo - I would totally think you were an experienced expert! Save a margarita for me!

    ReplyDelete