Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Getting a BooBoo - and other fun stuff

Mid October already! If I were still in Illinois, panic would be setting in at the mere thought that winter is looming. I keep reminding myself that we have more weeks of mild weather, followed by a few months of less mild weather, a cold week or two, and then spring. Yay!

On the home improvement front - the living area was professional painted in May and I'm quite happy with the colors. Finally found someone to do a stone hearth, and love the limestone complete with fossils. And wasn't it great to get the packing paper down - it had been taped over the windows while awaiting the new blinds.

PSAR report - I finished my shadowing in June, and they turned me loose on the trails. I spent July 6-10 at the South Rim, for 5 straight days of PSAR with my friend Marilyn. She is a fellow Sedona Ranger, a 78-year old ball of energy and fun. We camped at Mather, collapsing into our tents each night - usually after laughing hysterically at anything and everything. Can you say "Slap Happy?" Tired? How dare I be tired? Marilyn would put the Energizer Bunny to shame, so it was humbling to ever feel I could not face another day on trail.



We saw a bit of everything - hikers in flipflops, hikers with no water and/or food, old/young/families, macho guys and girlie girls. We met many wonderful people from near and far, and were even interviewed by the Italian version of NPR! The reporter sent me a link to the broadcast, and if I can ever get the audio to work I will post it on Facebook. Our 4th straight day was a hot, crazy-busy day on Bright Angel. I had my first two "real" hiker assists - a family where the mom was barely able to keep going while the 2 year old in the child pack looked unconscious. Blessings to the RN who stopped to help - we got the child cooled off, the mom convinced to eat and rest, and the Nurse Angel hiked up with them. I also assisted a 49-year old guy who was totally wiped out. The down side to this day - both Marilyn and I were chastised (is that a euphemism for severely criticized and humiliated?) on trail by a staff ranger. Apparently, our radio communication was not up to snuff and we were left feeling that we handled everything wrong. Well, given our training and experience, we think we did ok. (She actually made some valid points, but her delivery needs improvement.)

On August 3, I went up to Flagstaff for a fun, vintage show called The Big Heap. Lots of cool repurposed stuff. One booth used a tiny vintage camper for its display. It was totally refurbished and "cuted up". The rusty old wheels in my head began to turn...and that night I spent hours on-line researching vintage trailers. Who knew there is a whole culture built on these little gems? On August 7, I dragged Ken down to Safford, AZ (5 hours!) to see some trailers for sale. This was a long ride, but on nice roads and some great AZ scenery new to us.

From Sedona, we traveled through the high pine country around Payson, then down into saguaro-filled desert, past beautiful Roosevelt Lake, and on to Safford. Cotton country. Huh? I had no idea that cotton is grown in AZ. And Pima Cotton at that - named for the Pima Indians who started farming it ages ago. At long last, we found the seller and her array of trailers for sale. In various stages of refurbishing, different models and styles...and the little red one that got my attention. Dreamed about it on the long ride home, and called her the next day to claim it! But in the meantime...back to PSAR.

I headed to the Canyon on Aug. 9 for 3 days on trail. The first two would be shadowing staff rangers, in hopes of gaining more experience and knowledge - especially on the radio! Set out Friday morning on the Bright Angel trail with Taylor - a wonderful young ranger who was born like, last year. 15 minutes down, I slipped on a wide, flat, scree area. Trusy hiking poles to the rescue. NOT. Instead of stabbing my left pole into the ground...I stabbed it into my left shin. Landed on my ass, which was embarrassing enough. Oh hey, where did all that blood come from? Me? Oh hell. Hey, that HURTS! I was still in disbelief as Taylor irrigated and bandaged the wound, and called our boss. He met me at the trailhead and took me to the clinic. Was this really happening? About 90 minutes and 3 stitches later (I didn't count the tears, but there were more than I like to admit) - I left with a badly hurt leg and an ego in worse condition. Had to take down my camp and head home, where I spent the weekend feeling quite miserable despite all the pity food I could manage.

On the 14th, I once again dragged Ken down to Safford...and there was Ruby (yes, she had to have a name and this was chosen for her red exterior stripes). Ken got her all hooked up and we headed back north. She is now parked in the driveway where I can play! She needs a few tweaks, but most is cosmetic and that's where Teresa comes in. My wonderful friend in NC is going to make new cushion covers and curtains. My knowledge of fabric extends to...uh, that's what clothes are made of? The fabric has been chosen, a zillion measurements taken, ditto on photos, and the fun begins. I am planning to refurbish and reuse as much as possible.

Pinterest - beware! It is a giant black hole of time! There are countless ideas for making things, remaking things, thinking about making things...and I've already used a number of them for Ruby's transformation. It's been a great tool for Teresa and I to share photos and ideas, and what we'd do/make/buy if we had unlimited time and money.

Got my stitches removed by my friend Karen. She is also a fellow Sedona Ranger and PSAR - and it helps that she is a retired pediatrician and used to dealing with babies. The first one was torture, the last two were bearable.

Kelly came out to spend 6 days - yay! Haven't seen her since May and planning some fun things and a few surprises. I told Otis to get some rest while he can - she'll be hugging his fur off for a week. We had a great time at an Arizona Cardinals preseason game, as well as some pool time, family time and hanging around time.

I crammed in quite a bit of PSAR time in September. Over Labor Day weekend, I was out alone on the Hermit Trail - a steep, little used trail with which I am not very familiar. A monsoon storm arrived when I was about 30 minutes down trail, and O M G. The trail became an instant, raging river. Thunder boomed over my head, lightning crackled all around me. Water poured down in torrents from the rim. The sound was incredible. I first hid behind a huge boulder, and then decided to get back up top as quickly as possible. Not gonna happen! Came around a corner to see a narrow section of trail nearly washing over the edge, impassable. I found a little rock overhang and wedged myself beneath it. Used my radio to report trail conditions - flash flood, impassable, etc. and the response was "10-4." HUH? Not sure what I was expecting, but maybe a tiny bit more concern??? I had to wait it out for nearly an hour, and then was able to carefully pass the worst part of the trail and slog my way back to the rim.

My remaining trips to the Canyon were wonderful - monsoon season had passed, the days were sunny and mild, the nights were clear and filled with stars. I had 3 fun days with Marilyn and Karen. We did not work together, but we were at the campsite and shared some very fun evenings. My last weekend was also great, and took place just before the government closed the parks. Our volunteer season is over at the end of September, and will resume next spring. I'm now happy to say that I have officially survived my first PSAR season!

Ruby was with me for my Sept. work days and what a joy! I did not have to worry about rain, was snug and comfy in my little camper. Getting more used to driving with her following faithfully along, have even managed to back up a few times (altho I avoid that whenever possible). I continue to find little ways to improve her appearance, as well as fun ideas for storage, handy itens to hoard, and more ways to enjoy my new toy. I should soon have the capacity to plug in a coffee pot for that all-important morning cup; I have a small DVD player and have watched movies at night; found some totally cute milk glass dishes at a yard sale...Teresa is diligently working on Ruby's new curtains and I can hardly wait to get them! And here's is the back of Ruby with her new name installed above the window:

No comments:

Post a Comment