Sunday, February 5, 2012

Getting Bugged

The saga of the money pit continues...

The chicken coop.  That cute little building that I wanted to turn into a garden/craft space.  The one filled with chicken filth.  The one I spent days cleaning, filling 3 huge trash bags with crumpled newspaper filled with chicken filth.  The one where I exposed myself to goodness knows what...yes, that one.

I figured out how to get a new power washer into my little car, and proudly brought it home.  More importantly, I figured out how to do the required assembly and get it running.  I donned protective eye wear, a dust mask, and a most fashionable lime green shower cap.  NO, photos of this do not exist.  I really should have had that HAZMAT suit.  I blasted that space with bleach and water, and more bleach and water.  The filth ran down the walls and out the door.  I was imagining how it would look, all spiffed up and painted.

Think again.

The next day, an exterminator came out to see about spraying for termites at the studio building.  (That's another sad story.)  I had him look at the coop because I'd seen these odd little bugs.  They appeared to be dead, and I had done a crazy "there are weird bugs on me" dance.  That shower cap turned out to be the best idea I had.  After closer examination, Bug Man determined that these critters - all of which were not dead) - are Mexican Bed Bugs (a/k/a Poultry Bugs).  WHAT?  I commenced to do the bug dance again, while my skin crawled and my stomach churned.  I'd had those things ON me.  I went back to the condo in those dirty clothes.  Bug Man said that these things are known to infest chicken coops and prey on birds.  And people.  They are apparently very difficult and expensive to remove.  He suggested just tearing down the coop.  I think something flammable would be better...never a good flame-thrower on hand when you need one.

I suppose this explains why the seller no longer had chickens, and why she left the filth for me.  Nice.

Perhaps someday I will laugh about this, but now - not so much. 

I have managed to get out to hike most days.  Not for as long as I'd like, but the trails will be waiting for me next time.  I'm trying to get into some shape for next month's Canyon hike, but fear I have a lot more to do.  As the sign at the Canyon reads "Getting down is Optional, getting back up is Mandatory." 

The highlight the other day was the small herd of javelinas along the Jack's Canyon Trail.  Such fun watching and photographing them.  Most locals have no affection for them, as they are known to devour landscaping with ease.  Perhaps my fascination with them will fade with time, but with our property being fenced I'm not too concerned at this point.  I did watch them walk right through a barbed wire fence.  They chomp on prickly pear cactus pads, so it seems those critters are tough inside and out.

I counted 12 plus one baby.  First time I'd seen a baby - a cute little sausage on legs.  A few of them looked up at me, and then returned to eating.  I stayed behind a shrub or small tree the whole time, being careful not to spook them (or antagonize them).  They moved on along the trail, and at one point I was nearly surrounded.  That was a little unsettling, but they paid very little attention to me and would scram at my slightest movement.  The sun was going down behind the hills and I needed to get back to my car.  One guy kept an eye on me, and when I tried to pass by he gave a snort and a stomp.  I raised my trusty hiking poles and said "Git back."  Apparently, I speak Javelina because he backed up and resumed eating.

Snarfing up dinner



Caught this guy scratching his butt on a post.
  Had to be a guy - no female would behave that way in public!


Hard to get a good shot of the baby - stayed very close to mom.

Hiking a bit later this morning, and then attending a wildflower program at Red Rock State Park.  Will be back in time to watch the Super Bowl.  Go Giants!

No comments:

Post a Comment