Sunday, January 1, 2012

Getting on to a New Year

2011 is now a fuzzy memory - like one of those movie clips where they show calendar pages flipping by to represent the passage of time.  Most people I know agree that the days and weeks are flying by, and we are powerless to slow it down. 

There were certainly some bright spots in the year, with wonderful opportunities for hiking and exploring in the southwest.  Many great hikes in and around Sedona, a few days here and there at the Grand Canyon.  Accomplished a bit at the new house, getting the kitchen cabinets installed and some yard work done.  Progress has been slow, but am hoping that the next few months will see a completion of the kitchen and hopefully, flooring.

Despite the drenching rains from Hurricane Irene, I enjoyed the opportunity to attend my nephew's wedding in Mississippi, and the road trip that took me to the east coast. A great (but too brief) visit with my dear friend Teresa, a chance to see the wild ponies of Chincoteague, and tour some of our nation's most famous landmarks in beautiful Washington, D.C.

Nature nerd duties closer to home - seed team, tree steward, work days - all satisfying work done with fun and interesting people.  Wandering in a beautiful restored prairie, bucket and clipper in hand, collecting seeds that will eventually improve our natural areas - the smells of Mountain Mint and Gray-Headed Coneflower and Monarda seed heads, Big Bluestem waving in the breeze, a variety of plants still in bloom late in the season...perfect way to spend a few autumn mornings.

Our annual "seed mixing day" gave us volunteers a chance to see the results of our labors - giant sacks (and tiny bags) filled with harvested seeds.  Nearly doing a face plant into a sack of Mountain Mint chaff - aromatherapy at its best.  Delicious pot luck lunch and a chance to talk and laugh with staff and volunteers, and look back on another season in the fields.

     Sarah, Paul and Kim H. - cleaning Blue Flag Iris seeds


Huge sack of Mountain Mint chaff - heaven in a bag!

The holidays were enjoyed with family and friends, a bittersweet feeling knowing that this was the last season for us in Illinois.  As anxious as I am to be settled in Arizona, I know that I will leave here with much sadness as this nearly 30-year chapter of my life comes to a close.

In looking forward to 2012, I will continue to volunteer as much as possible with the Forest Preserve District of Kane County and Northern Illinois Food Bank.  I have made many great friends through both of these organizations and have gotten back far more than I have given.  In early March, I will again hike to Phantom Ranch at the bottom of the Grand Canyon.  My friend Mary was kind enough to invite me to join her and her sister in this adventure, and I can hardly wait!  My experience in 2009 was amazing, and I am incredibly lucky to be going again.  

The other corny image running through my mind is that of the hourglass - I think it was an old soap opera that used it - like sands through the hourglass, so go the days of our lives.  Was that it? 

Wishing all of you health and happiness, and time to enjoy whatever you love.  Stop to listen to those bird songs - you don't have to know the type of bird to savor the singing.  Ditto for the flowers along your path, the trees, and the critters who share our world.  Don't hibernate all winter - our natural areas offer lots to see even in the cold months.  As the trees have shed their foliage, it is much easier to spot birds and nests, and a dusting of new snow provides a chance to to study wildlife tracks.  The best thing I learned in the Certified Naturalist Program - put down that cell phone, turn off that I-Pod - learn to be still.  The world is at your feet.

Purple Coneflower in my garden at home



1 comment:

  1. What a great recap of the year. Although it makes it so "official" about you not being in the Land of Lincoln next winter - and that makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete