Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Getting Moldy

Tuesday's drive...










If you're ever in Meridian, MS, I would not recommend the Quality Inn!  Actually, I would not recommend being in Meridian, MS, but just in case...I was glad for the shelter from the storm, but to say it was less than deluxe...Not only did the air unit sound like an oncoming train, but the air belching forth smelled like feet.

Best place name along the way - Tallapoosa, AL.  Reminded me of the names given to designer dogs that are created from cross-breeding - Labradoodle, Schnitzelplatz (ok, maybe not that second one).

Worst traffic and drivers - Atlanta area.  Yeesh!  7 lanes of crazy traffic and drivers who do not have the merge gene.  I felt sure I'd be "flattened like a hapless fence lizard under a buffalo stampede."  (I plagiarized that quote from a friend...you know who you are.)  Very glad to get through that area in one piece.

Best water tower - This giant peach along the highway in NC.  Ranks up there with the "World's Largest Pistachio" in NM.



Best state welcome sign - GA.  But you'll have to go there and see it for yourself.  There was no way to safely get a pic, so I had to settle for the boring one at the welcome center.

I saw this beautiful, early morning sky just after getting to AL. 

There was hope...that was soon dashed as the rains returned.  Nothing like the deluge of the day before, but still wet and windy.  When I reached SC, there were actually a few breaks in the clouds...and bits of blue sky!  As it gradually cleared and the sun came out, I felt as the ancients must have during an eclipse.  A sign of something unknown and possibly terrifying!



It stayed dry until I reached a few sprinkles in NC, some 13 hours later.  This time, tho, I was behind most of the rain so it did not present any problems on the road.  The last 90 minutes or so from Charlotte, NC to my hotel seemed endless.  The payoff - a nice room at the LaQuinta here in Apex, and a reunion with Teresa!

We have been friends since our days in New Orleans as legal secretaries.  That was some time in the late '70s.  We've shared many smiles (and some tears), many adventures and silly Scrabble games over the years, and have remained close friends.  She knows the worst of me (and even knows my family) and somehow, still likes me.  I am blessed!

It is now Wednesday morning and the sun is making a return.  Woohoo!  It's a good thing, because I was beginning to feel like one of these...


'shrooms

 I found a pretty, paved path to walk near the hotel and it felt great to get out and move around.  I met this little guy along the trail...


Box turtle

Off with Teresa to the JC Raulston Arboretum in Raleigh!

1 comment:

  1. But it had to be "the air belching forth of "QUALITY" feet! You know - cuz you were in Quality Inn.... anyway - your photos are great as always - I'm proud of you NOT taking the life threatening photo of the good GA sign. Have a ton of fun with Teresa! Thanks for letting us "creep" on your travels.

    ReplyDelete