Sunday, January 23, 2011

Getting Warm

I hope that my friends will take this not as a chance to gloat, but rather to entice all of you to visit Arizona in the near future.  I know that when Phoenix is 110 for weeks, it is not pleasant.  But 75 in January?  What's not to like?  Sedona has 4 distinct seasons - a few chilly winter days (and even some occasional, short-lived snow), spectacular spring with wildflowers in bloom, a warm/hot summer with very little humidity (and not the extreme heat of the Phoenix area), more flowers and cacti in bloom, and an autumn that can rival any in the midwest.  Yes, we have deciduous trees here, including maples and oaks that blaze against the azure autumn sky.  Convinced?  I hope so!

My visit on Saturday to the Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix did not disappoint.   It is an amazing place, with more types of cacti than I knew existed on earth.  There were a few things in bloom, such as the Fairy Duster (native) and Aloe shown here:

Fairy Duster


Aloe (not sure which type)


The state bird of Arizona, the Cactus Wren, shown here atop his spiny perch:


 There are several types of Cholla cacti here, and I think this one is Silver Cholla - I love the way the sun is shining through the spines:



This little Round-Tailed Ground Squirrel is one of many critters who inhabit the Sonoran Desert:

These little guys burrow in loose soil under Mesquite trees and Creosote bushes.  They are omnivores who eat green vegetation and insects.

A few years ago, there was a phenomenal exibit in the garden of sculptures by Dale Chihuly.  It was one of my all-time favorite exhibits ever.  I've long been a fan of his work, and seeing  these specactular pieces in the desert environment was a feast for the senses.  I was lucky enough to see it under the bright AZ sky, and again at night when the pieces were aglow under the stars.  This piece is one of 3 (all similar, different sizes) that are on permanent exhibit at the garden.  They catch the sun and explode with light.

  Desert Tower (one of 3) by Dale Chihuly



I hope I've made my case for all of you to head to the southwest.  Although the house will be a "work in progress" for a while, the casita is here and ready for guests!

No comments:

Post a Comment