Saturday, April 9, 2011

Getting Snowed

I fell asleep last night, listening to the rain drum on the skylights.  When I woke at 5:30 this morning...I found that the rain had turned to heavy, wet snow!  Mary O and I were here last year at the very same time, hiking in shirtsleeves (yes, and pants too).  Mother Nature had something else in store.  I am grateful that I arrived in town before this weather hit.  I heard that earlier today, I-40 across Flagstaff was closed, as was I-17 between Sedona and Flag.

This is the front of the condo Sat. morning

I drove around a bit this morning to take some photos, mostly of the poor, shocked plants and trees.   I postponed my planned drive to Prescott, as I heard they'd gotten 8" of snow overnight!  It is south of here, but higher in elevation.   I instead spent the morning at Home Depot and Sherwin Williams in Cottonwood, and it was raining there.  I would love to get out for a hike this afternoon, but the snowfall in Sedona has now turned to rain.   Crazy weather!




What's wrong with this picture?  That's right, there's SNOW on this cactus!
One of my favorite spring blooms, this poor Mexican Poppy is frozen!






The Courthouse Butte trail is a favorite of mine from this area, but this morning neither the Butte nor Bell Rock
 were visible!
Is this a Redbud?  It's in our yard at the house, and it's gorgeous purple
blooms are wearing a blanket of white.

OK, so that's my sad tale of the spring snowstorm here in Sedona.  I will spend the rest of the day at the house, preparing to paint the bathrooms.  Better than doing that on a warm, sunny day (which we had better have soon, or I'll demand restitution!).

No comments:

Post a Comment