Sunday, April 24, 2011

Geting Dumped

Saturday was my third and final trip to the Camp Verde Transfer Station (a/k/a The Dump).  This free service provided a way to rid the new property of massive piles of rotting wood and metal, teal carpet and padding, disgusting chicken supplies - a ton of work and a ton of junk.  Good riddance!



Loaded up for first trip to the dump

My West Fork hike on Thursday did not disappoint. I know, I know...I've written/talked repeatedly about this place.  That is because it is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been.  It's an easy 6.4 mile round trip in spectacular Oak Creek Canyon - sensory overload!  There are 15 creek crossings, using logs/rocks to pick your way across. Apple trees, Junipers, Maples, Ponderosa Pines (my favorite), ferns, wildflowers, birds and butterflies.  All in a setting of soaring red rock walls, brilliant blue skies and the meandering creek.  Birdsong, water sounds, pine smells - if this is Heaven, I should start behaving myself.


Apple trees in bloom - remnants
from a long-ago farm


                                      Arizona Valerian


Spotted Towhee - I also saw a pretty little
Painted Redstart, but he refused to pose

Tranquil spot along the creek         


Canada Violets


     DQ treat after my hike.  OK, OK, so there are some aspects
                        of civizilation that still appeal to me...

I celebrated Earth Day by volunteering with the Forest Service at the local ranger station.  Volunteers pulled weeds in native gardens, and Forest Service employees planted seeds for a hummingbird garden.  It will be fun to see what's growing when I return.  It was a great day, nice people, and I worked in a garden with a view.


The section of garden where I worked -
with a great view of Wild Horse Mesa


Volunteers working to remove Camphor Weed and Russian Thistle


           Woodsy Owl and me - "Give a Hoot - Don't Pollute!"




Fire on the Mountain!
A beautiful sunset, as seen from the deck of the new house

1 comment:

  1. Does Ken know about you and Woodsy Owl? Hmmm. I tore apart a section of fence today and thought of you. I love all the photos - but what I really really want to know is what flavor blizzard did you buy???

    ReplyDelete