Sunday, October 14, 2012

Getting Into Fall

Wow, time has flown since my last post.  And since the move - 6 months already!  Here it is, mid-October and summer is over - at least according to the calendar.  The autumn weather here is spectacular.  Days are still warm, even hot (mid to upper 80's), with lots of sunshine and clear blue skies.  Overnight lows in the 50's, so the a/c is off and the windows are open.  Great sleeping weather.  Great hiking/gardening/reading/doing anything - or nothing - weather.

The weed wars continue, and my side isn't winning.  After the summer rains, many more things grew and bloomed and spread.  Some were nice - a reappearance of globe mallow and four o'clocks, broom snakeweed providing widespread color (yellow) in the yard and along the trails.  Lots of asters, camphorweed and gaura.  Finding wild morning glories and scarlet creeper trailing along the ground and up the fence. The Devil's Claw really went crazy!  The plants got huge, producing dozens of seed pods that are beginning to split and form their "claws."  Mary O collected some of the pods to send to a Supai friend - hopefully, some of my dried pods will be used in her basketmaking!

Unfortunately, lots of nasty things as well - Palmers Amaranth, the dreaded Puncture Vine, an unclassified spurge that I consider a scourge.  All of which have dropped their seeds so that next year they will most likely run me out of town.

Haven't seen any mule deer in the yard for a while, but almost daily fresh deer scat.  I know you're out there!  George the Roadrunner has been MIA, as have the quail.  Still hearing the Great Horned Owls in the wee hours of the morning, and a Guilded Flicker arrives each evening to hang around under the eaves on the front deck.  Spike the Horned Toad visited a few days ago.  Had fun taking photos, and even got brave enough to pick him (her?) up...while wearing gloves.  Very cool little creature, and I hope he (she, they?) hang around.  There are certainly enough rocks and weeds out there to provide shelter.


Gotta love that face!

My beautiful daughter Kelly was here for a week in early September, and we had a great visit.  She enjoyed some time at the condo pool, and we had fun playing tourist and visiting Jerome.   Dear friend and hiking buddy Mary O was here for a few weeks.  Went on several hikes, a birdwalk in Flagstaff, and toured a Lava Cave (also in Flagstaff).  We always have great adventures - including a hike on the remote Mooney Trail where we came upon tracks (and scat!) of a black bear.  Suddenly, Mary was very interested in my hiking sticks!


Black bear print - I'll refrain from
posting the photo of the scat

After many weeks of anticipation....Peggy, dear Peggy!  My wild and crazy friend from my days at the Food Bank came to visit (I have made so many wonderful friends through volunteering - I sure am lucky!).  We had a busy, fun week as I dragged her here/there/everywhere we could manage to get during her (too short) time here.  She was the perfect houseguest and game for anything (she made me say that).  We had 3 great hikes, a day in Jerome, a day at the Grand Canyon.  Lots of laughs, good food, girl time. 

Always amazing at Shoshone Point

It was fun to use my home-made prickly pear syrup* to whip up Prickly Pear Margaritas - delish!  On our last night, we had a lovely dinner outside at Tii Gavo (at the Enchantment Resort).  Watched the full moon rise behind the red rocks and while driving back through Boynton Canyon - we HOWLED.  If you've never howled at a full moon, try it.  You'll like it.  And if you are one of the Luney Ladies from home, you can back me up on that one!

*My first ever try at harvesting Prickly Pear fruit and making syrup from its fuschia-colored juice!  Took some time and lots of caution to avoid the spines and glochids, but the process was easy and fun.  I managed to perforate my skin only a time or two, and also kept from splashing the juice floor to ceiling.  It is now frozen for future use (baking, toppings, and the all-important Margaritas!).


    Prickly Pear fruit, fresh from the cactus!
Pureed fruit - amazing color!           



Prickly Pear Margaritas - Cheers!

All jokes aside, I am thoroughly enjoying my duties as a Volunteer Park Ranger.  Meeting people from all parts of the world, hopefully giving them a smile or two and contributing to good memories of their time in Red Rock Country.  Funny how many people I meet from IL - a couple from Bartlett, a fellow from Aurora, others from Barrington and Arlington Heights and Schaumburg.  Lots of people from Italy (many of whom take our photos) and the UK (people from Wales are surprised that I've heard of their country!), Spain, China, Japan, Australia...and some very cute boys from Luxembourg!  All of the other rangers with whom I've worked have been terrific, and I'm proud to don my cowboy hat and head "uptown."

The interior of the house has come along...somewhat.  I have actual furniture now, and fewer boxes stacked in every corner.  Would love to cover these white walls with some soft colors, but have to decide on hues and find someone to paint the living area.  All of the flooring is done and the guest room is complete (hint, hint!).

Somehow it all still feels temporary, especially this time of year.  For the last several years, I've spent most of October here and then returned home to IL.  Perhaps that's why I'm feeling that my time is winding down here...but when Halloween comes and goes, I shall remain.  For the first time, I'll witness the real change of seasons here from autumn to winter.  The fall colors will fade, as they do in the midwest, but will not be followed by any extreme weather.  And I can live with that!  Last week in Flagstaff, I enjoyed the first snowfall of the season up at the Snowbowl ski area.  Elevation above 9000 feet.  Gorgeous views of the mountains and the golden Aspens dusted with snow - but I drove less than an hour back to Sedona and left it all behind for temps in the 60's.  And as my bud Teresa said, if I'd continued driving south another hour, I would have seen the saguaros growing and the temps above 70.  Gotta love it!


First snow of the season


Aspen leaves hanging on


2 comments:

  1. Okay Kim - I will now mail you the check for saying I was a good guest! What a wonderful, detailed blog entry! You did not mention Casa Neglecta - how am I to give it a 5 star rating? Are you saving the mega drama at Tii Gavo for another post? And your Prickly Pear Margaritas - people - they are worth the trip alone! Add in the world's best Sedona tour guide and awesome accommodations and you will want to visit every month! Love ya, nature nerd girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU Peggy for all the sweet comments. I guess I should be sending you a check...I didn't want to spoil our Tii Gavo visit with the mega drama - amazing that we didn't take any pictures. LOL

      Love you, too, quilt nerd girlfriend!

      Delete