Sunday, July 8, 2012

Getting Tougher

OK, this isn't exactly nature-related, but it is kind of an adventure.  As I work on things inside and outside of the AZ house, I often get frustrated because I don't know how to do a certain project.  Where to start?  What tools do I need?  If I figure out what tools I need, will I know how to use them?

I have realized what a disservice it is to us women, and to our daughters (and theirs), that most of us are not taught even the basics of tool use, simple repairs, how to measure/paint/fix even the simplest of things.  In my case, I often don't even know what questions to ask.  Google has helped, but one still has to have a vague idea of where to start.

We need to teach our daughters and granddaughters how to do things for themselves!  Do we really want to call someone to charge us a small fortune to fix something we should be able to easily do for ourselves?  Do we always want to be dependent on someone (a man) to do these things?  Ever since I asked a "certain man" for help with something a few years ago, and was given directions on where to find the Yellow Pages, I swore I would become more self-sufficient.

In the last few months, I have stepped outside of my comfort zones and by determination and necessity (and pure stubbornness), have figured out how to:

Prep and paint a rain barrel (which I scored free at Home Depot), install the diverter kit and hook it up to the downspout;

Purchase and assemble and use a push mower;

Purchase, figure out how to fit it into my little car, and assemble and use a power washer;

Assemble a 2-drawer lateral file cabinet;

Patch a dry-wall hole;

Remove carpet and padding;

Remove rotting wood decking;

Repeatedly clean a disgusting chicken coop - ok that one was better left to either experts (are there such people?) or left to rot.  I can't burn it down due to our current fire restrictions, but it will eventually be dismantled and disposed of.

The above is not bragging, just examples of what a determined woman can do.  I've also had to remove various live insects from the house, using a cute ladybug jar provided by my friend Tracy.  OK, the tarantula in the condo is enough to disprove this whole theory, but there are just some things I can't yet do.  And probably won't, ever.  The snakeskin I found in the yard was the worst of the bunch so far - I cringed every time I saw it and tried to avoid that entire area.  I figured where there's a snakeskin, there must be...However, I just had to clear the weeds from that spot and decided if I just got rid of the darn thing I wouldn't have to worry about it every time.  So, it got scooped up and bagged with the dead weeds and now it is gone.  But I know its owner is most likely still there somewhere...

As you most likely know, I have also faced down a mountain lion.  Well, not really, but I did see one from a distance for about 4 seconds. 

I'd like to know what you have fixed or what project you have taken on that challenged your skills (or lack thereof).  Send me your stories so I can do a follow-up.  I implore parents to teach their daughters (and yes, sons) how to do some of this stuff.  They'll most likely roll their eyes and sigh, but they'll thank you for it someday.  Kind of like most of the stuff we teach them anyway.  I mean, men are only good for one thing.  And how important is parallel parking, anyway?

Happy to report, I'm good at that, too.

1 comment:

  1. Kim, my friend, you struck a chord with me with this post! I couldn’t agree with you more. Since getting “unhitched” a couple years ago (from a man who couldn’t bring himself to repair, replace or even paint anything) I’ve learned that it really is possible to DIY…with a lot of help from my friends Google and YouTube. Over the last 24 months or so I’ve ripped up carpet; demo’ed a bathroom down to studs; put down laminate flooring; painted kitchen cabinets; gave cabinets new hardware; painted three bedrooms, a kitchen, family room and bath; stained and installed trim; hung blinds; stripped an entire bedroom set, then refinished with stain and poly; moved furniture out; moved furniture in; and hung up my beloved collection of Dogs Playing Poker prints.
    Along the way I hired help for any job that could potentially leak, give me a zap or needed a scaffold, but also crossed my fingers and learned how to operate a table saw, compound miter saw and jigsaw. (Thankfully those crossed fingers, and all my other ones, are still intact.) I’ve also tackled outside jobs, like shrub removal and vegetable gardening, not to mention the standard upkeep chores like lawn mowing, snow shoveling, weed-whacking, etc.
    I’ve often thought as you have—that these jobs would’ve gone a whole lot quicker if I’d been taught a few simple skills, like measuring. (I would soooo love to be able to measure twice, cut once and have it come out right!) But I distinctly remember the junior high powers-that-be requiring that all girls take home ec, all boys take shop, and making it almost impossible for either gender to sign up for the other’s class as an elective. (In fact, we had a total of one boy—Bruce Oberg—who jockeyed his schedule to take home ec, and one girl—Julie Ross—who got into shop class.)
    But I have to admit, now that I’ve got a few skills under my (tool) belt, home improvement tasks are kind of addicting. Sure, I’d love for everything to be done, but what house ever really is? I guess I’m not ashamed to admit, I’ve become a Home Improvement Nerd, on top of all my other nerdliness.

    ReplyDelete