Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Getting Behind the Scenes

Last weekend was the annual Members' Gathering of the Grand Canyon Association.  This was my first opportunity to attend a series of programs, lectures and tours.  I drove out Friday morning, checked in for my campsite at Mather, and headed off to join a group volunteering for the vegetation program.  Did you know that the South Rim has its own nursery?  I had toured it a few years ago with the Sierra Club, and it was fun to see again.

Our group of 18 volunteers plus a couple of GCA reps planted 1205 tubes of mutton grass seeds.  All of this native grass will later be planted in various places around the rim.


Poa fendleriana - Mutton Grass

I later attended a program by Mike Bucheit.  I have seen his amazing photography for years and was very happy to meet him and see his slide show.  He has incredible photographs of remote canyon places I will never otherwise see, along with an engaging and interesting narrative.

It was rather a long night of car camping - just trying to get comfortable in the back of the Jeep and stay warm.  I left the windows open a bit to enjoy the fresh air and the sound of the wind in the trees.  About 2 a.m., it was so chilly that I didn't want to come out of my cocoon to close the windows.  I forced myself to emerge, but of course then I had to pee and well, I'll spare the details...

A few more great programs on Saturday, including a geology talk by Wayne Ranney and a tour of the Emergency Services facilities.  I wanted to see all of that without needing to see all of that.  Quite impressive, as we toured the facilities and had close-up views of ambulances, fire trucks and other emergency equipment.  We learned about land, air and water rescues.  The people doing this work are amazing - from treating doofuses (doofi?) who attempt long hikes on hot days while wearing flipflops and carrying 6 ounces of water, to performing search/rescue/recovery operations while putting their own safety at risk.  There is enormous cost (both in money and manpower) to mount an air rescue ($3600/hour just to operate a helicopter), a minimum of 8 people to carry someone out on a litter.  They were all dedicated to preventing emergencies, highly trained and ready to roll.  I was very impressed but at the same time, hope I never see any of them again!

    A sparkling fire truck is ready to respond to structural
    or vehicle fires (wild land fires are handled through a
    different facility).

After this tour, I got picked up by the park superintendent.  Ha!  I was walking to a bus stop for transport to my next event, when he came along and gave a ride to me and another woman heading to the campground.  Very nice gentleman who came to the Grand Canyon from Mt. Rainier just 9 months ago.  I cannot imagine the responsibility of caring for such a park, but I believe he is up to the task and cares deeply about preserving and protecting this magnificent place.

I had some time later in the day to spend along the rim (with thousands of others - this was about the most crowded I've ever seen the canyon).  I was lucky enough to see two adult and one juvenile condors!  I had never seen a juvenile there before, and was told it was hatched in the Canyon - which is why it had no wing tag as yet - had not been captured and tagged.


Juvenile Condor - sex and age unknown.  Juveniles have
 a dark head  - and a face only a mother could love?


    Adult female #55, born in captivity 5/07, released into
    the wild 3/09

#55 takes flight

Everything at the Canyon was booked solid - all campgrounds, cabins, lodges...I was unable to get anything for Saturday night so I decided to head back to Sedona.  I made my way down East Rim Drive, stopping at several viewpoints along the way.  I don't get over that way much and I should - the views are just as amazing and it is generally much less crowded.  I watched the sunset at Desert View and hit the road for home.  I hated skipping out on a few other events, but will make a point to return next year - and not procrastinate on reservations!

Between a rock and a hard place    

I am drawn to this place again and again. Compared to many of the "Canyon-Heads" I met last weekend, I am but a casual observer. That's ok. I'll take what it has to give, return as often as I can, and dream of adventures in a place that must be seen to be believed. 

Sunset from Desert View

1 comment:

  1. Wow Kim - you got some extra great photos! Being picked up by a park superintendent, missing details about peeing and learning there are Canyon heads - who knew!?

    ReplyDelete